HCD Research® uses Applied Consumer Neuroscience, a combination of traditional measures, biometric and contextual psychological testing, to examine and study how consumers perceive, evaluate, and respond to stimuli.
Being “methodologically agnostic” HCD Research is agile enough to tailor research plans to our clients’ individual needs. We specialize in customized research designs that effectively address your research question. HCD delivers reports that synthesize both the neuro measures as well as the traditional research and provide clear insights with actionable results.
• Traditional Marketing Research
• Applied Consumer Neuroscience
This approach has been widely adopted by the market research industry to answer questions across industry verticals. It refers to the integration of traditional and neuroscientific methods used to identify what may have caused a subject to give a particular cognitive response to a product and is ultimately used to help companies better market to the consumer.
Tools used by HCD Research to design market research projects include:
• Quantitative research: uncovers reliable and projectable statistical data that may be generalized from the sample to the overall population of interest.
• Qualitative research: reveals prevalent trends in abstract thought and opinion.
• Psychological and behavioral research: using established and validated psychological and behavioral assessments to understand the consumer experience (including behavioral coding, mood and personality testing, implicit measures, etc.)
• Statistical analysis: using advanced market research techniques that uncover the hidden drivers of how people make decisions and what they value in products and services. Capabilities include Conjoint Analysis, Bayesian Networks, Discrete Choice modeling, etc.
• Neuro-scientific research: the use of modern brain science and neuro tools to gain a better understanding of the consumer and their experience with stimuli.
• Sensory testing: scientific approaches to the analysis of human senses (i.e. sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing) for the purposes of evaluating consumer products and consumer experience including food and fragrance testing.
• Mood Mapping: Using a multi-dimensional approach (arousal, pleasantness and attention) we are able to create an emotional map to help our clients gather a better understanding of a consumer experience with a product and compare test stimuli and benchmarks beyond traditional hedonics and liking tests.
HCD Consumer Technical Model
Our Consumer Technical Model approach goes beyond project to project market research to build more in-depth consumer insights for product innovation. We work with our clients to build research programs to identify innovation opportunities by creating a better understanding consumer habits and rituals. We are able to increase our comprehension of need gaps for product innovation and, by utilizing applied consumer neuroscience, we can ensure that products achieve key benefits to fill those need gaps.
Because we have no technology bias, HCD Research provides expert marketing research advice to clients using both traditional and neurological methodologies (what we call applied consumer neuroscience). Having this agility allows HCD Research to develop custom and synergistic solutions for any question posed by our clients.
HCD Research serves as an educational partner to our clients and the industry as a whole. We constantly evaluate new technologies to ensure the most valid and appropriate measures are being utilized and integrated. HCD actively hosts webinars, speaks at both scientific and industry conferences and provides day-to-day, personalized support for our clients.